What are business rules?
- Business rules are derived from organisational policy and statutory regulations. The should serve to ensure regulatory compliance and operational consistency for the organisation
- They affect the running of processes and the relationships between data. They exercise control over changes to the data and its structure
- See also, “ How well do you know your business rules? “
Advantages of well controlled user managed business rules
- Rules remain relevant to the current state of the organisation.
- Less support is needed from IT.
- Business rule descriptions need not be buried in business process descriptions or requirements specifications.
- Gain better understanding of your data by clarifying the business rules that govern their inter-relationships.
Advantages of using automated support for business rules
- Reduced maintenance costs of the rules.
- Easier for the business to review and change rules for business security and business advantage.
- Automated business processes can dynamically refer to the rules in the online repository.
Gaining control of your business rules
- Extract them from inaccessible documents, applications and database code.
- Hold them in their own repository.
- Put them under the control of the business community rather than IT.
- Implement them on automated rules repositories.
- Dynamically integrate your business rules with your business processes for increased business agility.
How Capiro can help you get control of your business rules
Capiro’s business analysts and business rules specialists review, refine, manage and automate your business rules.
To learn more about how our agile business analyst consultants can help you to increase business agility by improving the transparency, relevance and maintainability of your business rules, please contact us .